Me in 2005

Me in 2005
Me in 2005. Hey I think in five years I'll go back to school!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My First Post

I probably should have started this when I first decided to go back to school, but procrastination is my best friend and should probably be my middle name! I lost my job in August and with no new great prospects and totally wanting to get away from the rubber stamp/sign business, I decided that this just might be a great time to go back to school. I have wanted to go to college for a very long time but never got around to it, then I got married in 1982, starting having kids in 1983, and that was it! My hats off to moms with young kids who are in college, you are much stronger than I am! It's hard enough for an old fart like me, 31 years out of high school, (many of those years being sick), and just having two teenagers at home. I told my husband that there was no way I could work full time and go to school so if I was going to do this, I needed his financial as well as emotional support. He is actually really excited for me. This has, however, created a tremendous amount of stress for me and I DON'T DO STRESS!! I have been having to learn (who am I kidding, I'm still learning) some stress reduction techniques. My favorite is to just zone out and spend the whole day in bed staring blankly at the television, sometimes I even turn it on. Since I'm short on time at this particular moment, I'm just going to start with the why and not go too much into the how of going back to school at my age. Since I'm going to be 50 in August, I thought maybe it might be a good idea if I figured out what it is I want to do when I grow up. Hubby got his degree five years ago so he's in full support of me getting mine now. Really, I think he's just excited at the prospect of me earning a much higher income than I've been able too in the past. Unless you're fortunate enough to fall into a job that pays well and offers the ability to move up in the company without a college degree, or they help pay for that degree, there's not a lot out there that pays decent money. Even working for my dad I couldn't make very much. Not that he didn't want to pay me more (yeah right, oops was that too sarcastic?) but it was a very small business that was more like a very expensive hobby for him. I ended up having to go to work for a different company and that was a total nightmare and a waste of a year of my life! That's another blog so I'm not going to dwell on it as it will just lead me into one of those zoning out sessions anyway and today I have things to do, so that's all for right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment